Making the most of your vertical spaces is as easy as arranging objects on floating shelves. Follow our tips for styling success.
Floating shelves, stocked with pretty and personal pieces, are an easy way to transform a plain wall into a gorgeous and practical feature.
The magic lies in the invisible fixings
A metal bracket with protruding tubes fixes directly to the wall (screws and fixings for both masonry and stud walls are included). These slide into a cavity in the back of the shelf, which then conceals all the hardware.
Note the load capacity
The larger shelves we've used here can handle up to 10kg for masonry walls and 5kg for plasterboard, while the smallest shelf can hold up to 5kg in masonry and 3kg in plasterboard. This makes them perfect for an elegant display, but not suited to storing your entire cookbook collection!
Style it up
Ready to style? Follow our six easy steps to help you ace the art of display.
- Shelf pick: Choose shelving in the same style and colour, but try different lengths and thicknesses to add visual interest. Mounting them asymmetrically looks elegant and less formal than a straight stack.
- Take aim: Install your shelves at a comfortable height so you can easily see the pieces on display, without the risk of them being knocked off.
- Go personal: Display treasured things, such as photographs or sentimental objects. The idea is to bring your own personality into the room.
- Group items: This will make pieces stand out, while ensuring your arrangement has some blank space to stop it looking too busy and cluttered. Tip: Position items towards the back of the shelf for safety
- Think harmony: Place an equal number of items on each shelf and balance taller pieces with short ones. Tall vases and artworks are good for creating height, while books make a stylish plinth.
- Add greenery: A potted plant or a vase of flowers or foliage adds instant vibrancy. Trailing plants look amazing draped over the edge of a shelf or choose something perkier for height
Set your floating shelves
Now you know our tricks to shelf success, head into your local Bunnings store to pick up everything you need. Before you go, check out how to make your own wooden shelves with our simple step-by-step guide.