At Bunnings, there's a reason we collect data from our customers. We want to ensure you have the best experience possible, every time you shop with us, whether in store or online.
So what data are we talking about? Usually this includes your name, delivery address or contact details. It could also include any information we collect when you visit our stores, website or apps. These details help us complete a transaction with you, make our advertising more relevant and tailor your shopping experience. In some cases, we may also share the information with our parent company Wesfarmers and its other businesses.
What we won't do with your data is use it to fill your inbox with irrelevant or unwanted spam or sell your data to anyone else. That's a promise. Now here's the official bit.
Keeping your personal information safe and secure is our priority.
You also have rights. So if you want to access your data or provide feedback on how we're using your personal information, please email us at PrivacyNZ@bunnings.co.nz.
Bunnings Group Limited and Bunnings Limited (Bunnings) are committed to protecting your privacy and personal information. We collect, hold, use and disclose personal information to assist us in carrying on our business, including to provide products and services to you. In this policy we explain how we collect your personal information, how we hold, use and disclose it and what controls you have over it and our use of it.
This policy is available on our websites at bunnings.com.au and bunnings.co.nz.
1. Personal information is information that identifies you or from which you may reasonably be identified. The types of personal information that we may collect about you includes:
We will usually collect personal information about you directly from you, however we may also collect information from our related companies in the Wesfarmers Group (such as Wesfarmers, Kmart, Target, Catch, Officeworks and OnePass) (Related Companies) and from trusted unrelated third parties such as Flybuys. The types of information we may collect from these companies includes information about your transactions or other interactions with them, including browsing on their websites and apps. We may also collect deidentified data from (and share deidentified data with) Related Companies for data analysis purposes.
2. The main ways we collect personal information about you are:
3. We may also collect personal information about you from:
4. We use and disclose your personal information in connection with carrying on our business (including to provide products and services to you and relating to our involvement in membership programs (including OnePass) and loyalty schemes (including Flybuys) that we participate in) and in some circumstances for the businesses of the Wesfarmers group of companies.
5. We may use your personal information:
6. We work with a number of third parties in carrying on our business and may disclose your personal information to:
7. As a participant in Flybuys we may collect from Flybuys (and share and combine personal information with Flybuys) the personal information of Flybuys members who are Bunnings customers (including contact details, transaction information, interactions with Flybuys and insights from interactions with Flybuys):
We may retain personal information about a customer who is a Flybuys member after they have ceased to be a Flybuys member (or after we have ceased to be a Flybuys participant) if we need to use the information for a reason set out above or any other lawful purpose.
8. As a participating brand in OnePass, we may collect from OnePass and other participating brands (Participating Brands) the personal information of OnePass members (including contact details, historical and future transaction information, historical and future interactions with OnePass and other Participating Brands and insights from interactions with OnePass and other Participating Brands):
9. Some of our service providers may be located overseas or may store information (including your personal information) that we provide to them overseas. We may also provide your personal information to our affiliates operating Bunnings overseas and to our Related Companies that are located overseas. Therefore, the personal information you provide to us may be held overseas. The jurisdictions in which the personal information you provide to us may be held include Australia, New Zealand and the United Kingdom.
Personal information you disclose to us will only be held or processed overseas in accordance with all applicable law.
10. Where practicable you have the option of dealing with us anonymously or by using a pseudonym. However, if you deal with us in this manner, we may not be able to provide all of our products and services to you or interact with you in other ways set out in this policy. For example, we will not be able to deliver products to you if you do not provide us with address details for the delivery.
11. As part of our functions and business activities and to promote the services we can provide to you, we may use, and disclose to third parties, personal information that we have collected from you or trusted third parties (including our Related Companies and Flybuys), for the purposes of advertising (including online behavioural advertising and website/app personalisation) and other direct marketing and personalised communications. We may engage third parties to assist us in ensuring that the marketing and advertising we provide is of interest to you. Direct marketing includes Bunnings or third parties:
We may also collect and use personal information about you from our Related Companies and Flybuys, such as purchase history and webpages visited on their websites and apps, to help personalise our website/app appearance for you and our direct marketing communications to you.
Generally, we will provide direct marketing and personalised communications to you where you have requested or consented to receiving such information. You can opt out of receiving direct marketing communications from us by using the opt out link or details provided in the direct marketing communication or in the case of online advertising, by managing your preferences in digital platforms such as Google or Facebook.
13. We may collect, use or disclose information about you in order to combine the information that we hold about you with information about you collected from or held by Related Companies, Flybuys and other trusted partners or from public sources. We may do this to enable us to derive insights about you. This includes being able to better understand your preferences and interests, personalise your experience, enhance the products and services you receive, and to tell you about products and services that may be of interest to you. We may also use Related Companies, Flybuys and trusted service providers to undertake the process of creating these consumer insights.
14. We will take reasonable steps to protect the security of your personal information that we hold, including both paper and electronic records. We have security measures in place to attempt to reasonably protect personal information under our control from misuse, interference, loss, unauthorised access, modification or disclosure. For example, we seek to ensure that personal information in paper form is held securely and personal information held electronically by or for us is held on secured servers in controlled facilities.
15. No data transmission over the internet can be guaranteed to be secure. As a result, we cannot ensure or warrant the security of any personal information transmitted by you to us over the internet.
16. You have the right under applicable Australian or New Zealand privacy legislation to request access to, and correction of, personal information about you held by us, at no cost to you. Requests should be made as set out under the heading "How to contact Bunnings" below.
17. We may require you to verify your identity at the time you request access to, or correction of, your personal information so that we can ensure your personal information is disclosed only to you.
18. We will respond to any requests for access or correction within a reasonable time, but in any event by no later than 30 days after the date you make the request.
19. If we refuse to provide you with access to the personal information held about you, or if we refuse to correct that information, we will provide reasons for such refusal If you object to the refusal, you may make a complaint in the manner indicated under the heading "Questions and complaints" below.
20. If you have a question or complaint about this policy, our collection of your personal information or the way in which we deal with your personal information, this should be directed to Bunnings' Privacy Officer using the contact details set out under the heading "How to contact Bunnings" below.
We will promptly investigate any complaint you make to us and attempt to resolve that complaint. If you are not satisfied with our proposed resolution of your complaint, or if we do not respond to you within 30 days of the date you make the complaint, then you may, if you are in Australia, contact the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner or, if you are in New Zealand, the New Zealand Privacy Commissioner to resolve that complaint:
Office of the Australian Information www.oaic.gov.au
Phone: 1300 363 992
New Zealand Privacy Commissioner
Phone: 0800 803 909
22. Our websites/apps may contain links to other websites/apps. If you access any third party website/app from our website, personal information about you may be collected by that third party website. We are not responsible for ensuring the protection of any of your information collected from any such third party website/app. We encourage you to be aware of this when you leave our website/apps and to read the privacy policies for every third party website/app that you access.
23. You can contact us in writing or by email as set out below:Bunnings' Privacy Officer
24. We may update this policy from time to time. We may let you know of significant changes to this policy by posting a notification on our website/apps. The current version of this policy will always be available on our website/apps and was last updated in September 2022.
25. We also have a credit reporting policy that sets out our commitments to protect the personal information of our customers that we may provide credit to or consider providing credit to. That policy is available here.