Your house is looking good, maybe better than it’s ever looked. But there are other senses to appeal to on inspection day. Your home should smell pleasing, sound tranquil and feel relaxing too. Here’s how to create the ultimate inspection day experience, and still be out the door in under an hour:
• Grab and run. Keep a couple of plastic storage tubs handy for everyday items. Toothbrushes, face washers, wet towels and used soap can go in the bathroom tub. Wet or dirty dishes and tea towels go in the kitchen tub. On the way out the door dump everything in the tubs and put them in the back of your car.
• Smell for success. Light oil burners or scented candles in bathrooms, kitchen or dining room. Scents should be subtle, light and not too overpowering.
• Make your pets invisible. Remove all the pet bowls.
• Place vases of flowers in strategic spots such as the dining room table or the hall stand.
• House Music. Pick a CD that will appeal to the potential buyers and play it on low throughout the inspection.
• Home brew. Put freshly baked biscuits out or brew fresh coffee on the stove. Make it smell like home.
• Open minded. For rooms that need to appear bright and spacious remember to keep the blinds and curtains open.
• Every day is an inspection day. People drive past your home continuously during the marketing period. So it pays to have the front of the house looking presentable all the time, and any feature lighting on in the evenings.